Thursday, January 14, 2010

¡Hola from El Salvador!

I hope that everyone at home is doing well. We are all thinking of our family and friends while we are here, and can't wait to share our experiences with all of you.

Today I was awakened by my host mom, Cecelia, at the early hour of 5 am, just before the sun rose and roosters started crowing. I got ready using a flashlight and no mirror, and washed my face using a basin of water that had little goldfish swimming in it. I then took a quick bucket shower, which I initially was worried about, but have now come to love. (They are extremely refreshing and a great way to cool off!) However, the best thing about my morning was not the bucket shower, it was the hug Cecelia gave me after she walked me to breakfast this morning.

After breakfast, which consisted of amazing coffee, platanos, rice, fresh eggs (from our families' hens), and beans, about 15 of us accompanied Dr.Walt on the final medical brigade. The most interesting part of my day was definitely the car ride up the mountain to the clinic. We rode in pickup trucks up the extremely rocky mountain side, and had an off-roading experience that I will never forget. After laughing and screaming the whole way up, we finally made it to our site. Within an hour, there were already 150 people waiting to be treated by Dr. Walt. In order to decrease the wait time, we set up stations and handed out pills to treat parasites, gave recipes to cure diarrhea, and taught stretches to help alleviate back pain. All of the people at the clinic were so patient, friendly, and appreciative- this made the car ride up the mountain so worth it.

Everyone has been speaking a lot of Spanish since we arrived here in El Salvador. I find myself not only conversing with my host family in Spanish, but also communicating with my peers in Spanish, thinking in Spanish, and even dreaming in Spanish. I hope that means our Spanish is improving!

When we arrived back at the cooperative, after a long day at the clinic, many of us returned to our homes and spent time with our host family. This is always my favorite part of the day. I was a little home sick when we first arrived in San Salvador; however, having a family to spend time with every day has been great. The people here are so generous and inviting and many of us already feel like part of their family. I am continually amazed at how much the people here give of themselves and how positive their outlook is on life. I love it!

I realized today that we are about half way through our trip. The time has flown by, and I am already thinking about how hard it will be to say "bye" to my Salvadoran family. This trip has been life changing for many of us. When we go to Suchi Toto this weekend, many of us will buy presents for our friends and family; however, I think we have come to realize that the material things we bring home are nothing in comparison to the memories that will last a life time.

Thank you all for reading our blog. It is so nice to know that the people at home haven't forgotten us. :) We appreciate your thoughts and prayers!

Love,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment